You will need:
- A watering can/jug to use as a vase.
- Spray paint, colour of your choice - mine is gold!
- Acrylic paints, again, use colours according to your design and a brush.
- Mod Podge to seal the design of your acrylic paint.
- EDIT ALERT! Mod Podge was completely the wrong thing to use to seal the design. After application , the spray paint all bubbled up! A better resource to use would be something like an acrylic sealer which you can also get in spray paint form.
Step 1 - Spray
Step 2 - Paint
The design for mine comes from the interior decor of my Mum's front room. She has some beautiful oriental furniture with golds and cherry blossom. So I decided to paint these on the sides of my lettering, using purple and white acrylic paint.
Alternatively, you can use vinyl lettering stickers. As long as you seal it after with Mod Podge, you could even use just normal stickers for your lettering and decoration.
Final Step - Seal
Once dry, fill with flowers, wrap up in cellophane and add a pretty bow with some ribbon from your craft stash, eh voila! Your finished pressie.
I'm annoyed with my finish, it wasn't perfect because I rushed it! So although I've labelled this as 'last minute' you do need to allow ample time for the spray paint to completely set! Hence I made a few smudge marks on mine as the spray paint was still tacky when I went to paint it. The advice on the can was use multiple thin layers as oppose to a few heavy layers. Good advice to note!
Another point to add, I completely didn't think about spraying the inside and just did it. After, I realised I probably couldn't use fresh flowers (the original plan) for the worry of the paint flaking off in the water and killing the flowers quickly! So I opted for artificial flowers instead!
Hope you enjoyed this craft make and please do get in touch if you have a go. Would love to see your spin on it!
Here's a link to the original idea that is a whole list of Mother's Day makes. So you're bound to find something that'll suit.