I haven’t done a craft tutorial for a while. With Easter just around the corner, a perfect excuse to create not one, but four easy cards. I’m giving away a free printable in my Etsy shop so you can make them for yourself. See links at the end of the blog.
I actually drew the cross picture for this back in 2016. Whilst scrolling back through my facebook page for Just Creative Julia, I came across it again. I immediately had the idea to use it for Easter cards for Eli’s key workers at his nusery and playgroup and the teachers I work with at my school.
The idea for the design came from my faith. To me, Easter isn’t about the Easter bunny. And although I enjoy celebrating with chocolate, it’s not all I think about. Easter is the perfect time to remember the cross. Which shows God’s heart of love for us. So it was obvious really I’d choose a heart over the cross. The flowers and vines simply represent the fruits of God’s blessings when we give our all to Him.
What You Need
Yellow Background Card
1. Cut out a plain background paper of just one block of colour, no patterns. I used yellow. Make it big enough to cover the whole surface of the card.
2. Cut out the card topper and glue in place.
3. Take a black pigment liner (this will be best as it won’t smudge if water accidentally spills on it. You can use a simple black fine liner otherwise) and draw a dotted line around the outside.
4. Add your flower topper in the top left corner.
Pink and Blue Swirl Background Card
1. Use a square card for this for maximum effect. Cut out patterned background paper of your choice. Enough to cover the whole front of the card.
2. Cut out your printable and add foam pads to the back. You may want to glue it onto card first to strengthen it. I didn’t and it came out a bit flimsy!
3. Stick it onto the card centrally.
Patchwork Effect Card
1. Choose one plain colour and one patterned paper that will compliment the card topper. I chose pink and a green floral.
2. Cut 2 rectangles of each. Small enough to leave a blank cross in the middle. Mine measure approx. 6.5cm and 7cm.
3. Glue onto your card blank with alternate patterns, leaving space for a blank cross in the middle. For example, from top left going clockwise I added pink, green floral, pink and green floral.
4. Cutt out the cross and heart from the card topper.
5. Add foam pads to the back.
6. Stick on your card blank in a central position.
3D Heart Card
This has got to be the easiest one out of the lot!
1. Cut out the card topper and stick on your card blank centrally.
2. Take another card topper and cut out the heart.
3. Add foam pads to the back.
4. Stick over the heart in a decoupage style. You could keep going by adding a third layer with the flowers.
And that’s it! All pretty simple and quick to do if you are like me and a last minute queen! Please do share your cards if you use my card topper. You can tag me on Instagram @Just_Creative_Julia or #justcreativejulia.
To grab your freebie, follow this link to my Etsy shop and the discount of £3.60 (the full price of the printable) will be automatically applied to your basket: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JustCreativeJulia?coupon=EASTER2018.
The code works throughout my whole shop so feel free to choose something different of the same value or as money off my other items.
Please note, if you make cards it is purely for personal use between friends and family. Or to sell a small amount at craft fairs. Not for selling online. Thank you.
I'm Julia, Just Creative Julia, jolly pleased to meet you!
Welcome to my creative lifestyle blog, established 2014. My main sections are: creativity including crafting, poetry and interior design; well being including mental health, recipes and my faith in God; personal including parenting and my general introvert deep thoughts. You can also have a browse in my shop and Etsy shop.